Sunday, November 16, 2008

Haand Bryggeriet Norse Porter


I don't usually review beers on this site, but maybe I'll start. I've been coming across some rather interesting beers lately and I think they're worth sharing, or at least recording.

This one is batch no. 78 brewed in May 2007. As with my porter, it pours a bit over carbonated with a three-finger head that's sort of a thick, fluffy chocolate ice cream. The head mostly diminishes in a few minutes, but remains as a small, thin head on the beer.

This beer is dark. So dark, in fact, that even when back lit with a halogen bulb I can't see through the bowl of my Sam Adams glass, and the lower portion of the glass shows blood red around the edges, and still more darkness in the center. Black Hole might have been an appropriate name choice for this beer.

The typical porter aroma is definitely there, with hints of chocolate, licorice, malt, a bit of dark fruit (plums, currants), and no hops to speak of. Roast flavors are at the fore, with some sweetness and chocolate, and a bit of espresso-like bitterness. This beer is not thick or heavy, nor is it thin and lifeless. The body is that perfect combination of full body and smoothness that makes you want another, even at 6.5% ABV.

Overall, I really like this beer. Aside from the beer itself, I really like what the guys there are doing. They brew in their spare time because they like brewing, not because they have to. The history of the building is also pretty interesting. Should I ever get to Norway, I'll definitely add this brewery to my itinerary (wife willing, of course).

No comments: