Saturday, May 26, 2007

Survey Porter - Brewed 05/20/2007


I've decided to try to keep track of what I've been doing here and hopefully someone will find my mistakes of use in their own brewing process. I've found resources too numerous to count on-line that have helped me out in the past few years, so why not put it out there?

This brew was a first for a number of reasons: first high-gravity beer (over 1.060), first step mash, and first time using my HERMS setup. I did discover that the HERMS coil in the HLT was too short, which reduced the wort contact with heat, which greatly increased my step times, but it's a trial and error kind of deal. I had a lot of help from the AHA Tech Talk forum with the apparent design flaws with my HERMS setup. Turned out I was just getting air in the pumps and needed a way to bleed them.

No comments: