Sunday, November 9, 2008

Winter Warmer and Grain Mill Update

The winter warmer was cooking along nicely, what with a nice healthy fast-starting fermentation, when all of a sudden it just kind of crapped out. Just stopped at 1022. This is my first go-around using Wyeast 1028 Scottish Ale yeast, and I think for the most part I was right in the wheelhouse as far as optimal temperature, but it just kind of pooped out on me. Brewed on Saturday, by Tuesday it was done. I tried warming it, I tried rousing the yeast again, but nothing. What I decided to do today was take the 6+ gallons and split it into 2 glass carboys, then pitch about a half sachet of S-04 in each to try to bring it down. 1022 would be fine if I was making a barleywine or some other high-gravity beer starting above 1080, but not for a beer that starts at 1052 with 85% efficiency.

As for the grain mill, I decided I needed a motor with a little more oomph, so I've ordered a 1/3 hp motor for a band saw. That should have the torque and power to run a grain mill and crush even the hardest of grains. We shall see once it arrives and I get it put back together.

As for Adeptus, fear not, everything is boxed and should be heading to the post in the next few days. I've included one of my Survey Porters and a good sized bottle of my Belgian black ale, my take on the New Belgium 1554 black ale.

1 comment:

Barry M said...

Wow, can't wait to try your Belgian ale! Or the porter!

I'm going to be getting a fix of non-German beer for the next 10 days or so as I'm heading back to Ireland for a short visit. I'm sure I'll blog about them, even though they'll mostly be old beer friends :)