Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Time For Some International Trade

Given the state of the global economy (no thanks to the banks, brokerage houses, short sellers, junkies, winos, caucasians, politicians and everyone else in the world) I have decided to try to spur on international trade on my own. Seems that the good majority of the blogs about beer that I follow are written from the eastern side of the Atlantic, and there is a certain lack of availability of certain American beers on the continent. Conversely, I find myself completely at sea (although very welcome for the eye-opener) when it comes to many of the beers mentioned in the Euro-centric blogs, almost all of which are unavailable here in the states. 

Therefore, I propose something of a beer swap between continents (and I know there's a certain Irishman who's dying for a Goose) to further the expansion of beer education, foster some international trade, and get good and pissed from - I mean learn about - beers which I have no current knowledge of. Send me a list of your wants and possible swap suggestions, and I'll respond likewise.  I think it was Ron Pattinson that I first read mention of de Molen, and now I look for it in every beer store I enter.

Anyhow, that's my proposition. I know of one taker so far, so feel free to shoot me your thoughts.

1 comment:

Barry M said...

Of course I support this! :D

It's certainly hard to get many of the US micro beers this side of the Atlantic, but it does depend where you are. Speaking for myself, it was far easier to get beers from the likes of Rogue, Goose Island, Sierra Nevada and Great Divide, to name but a few, in Dublin than it seems to be in Germany. I reckoned that Ireland being an island imports lots of stuff anyway, while Germany is very inward looking when it comes to beer, so as the first target for a trade, I think it's a great idea!

Should I start making a wish list now? :D