Sunday, May 27, 2007

First attempt at washing yeast

After finishing moving the porter from the fermenter to a keg for secondary, I decided that since my next brew is a California Common, I'd try washing the yeast and repitching it since they both use the WYeast California Lager 2112. I found an article on the HBD web site about washing yeast and decided it sounded simple enough. Thing is, I was expecting the yeast to look as it does coming out of the smack pack or vial. What I thought was leftover beer that I poured DOWN THE SINK was actually the yeast I was trying to harvest in suspension. Fortunately, there was still enough left (but man, there was a LOT of trub - I was using pellet hops, and didn't use a hop bag) to successfully harvest about a half liter, then added an old smack pack of WY2112 for good measure. Added to that 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient and hopefully we're off to the races with this.

No comments: