Saturday, July 26, 2014

Yet Another Update

It would appear that my attempt to restart the yeast was a successful one. After not doing what I should have done originally - step the starter for a week - I quick threw together another starter (see the prior post) and it would appear that it was successful. The starter was repitched a week ago and the gravity has dropped from 1.050 to 1.018. I have also been swirling the conical to remix the existing yeast so that my have helped as well.

Tasting along the way (because beer) has shown a consistent flavor profile with a subtle but obvious Brett note. That's not a bad thing in this style beer, and I knew that this would be the result going in. Otherwise why even use it? The tips from the July/August 2014 issue of Zymurgy have been very helpful with this batch.

I don't know what it is about Belgian beers, but my favorite beer styles are from this region: Wit, Saison/Biere de Garde, Lambics, Trappist/Abbey beers - they all have something that just stands out above the rest. That's not to say I don't love the IPA, Stout/Porter or even English Ale, but given my druthers, I'll always go back to Belgium.

No comments: