Monday, May 4, 2009

Hops v2.0.2

I've been doing a bit more reading, especially about commercial hop growing and some of the techniques that can be applied to small-scale hop produciton. I think one of the things I've been misinformed about is multiple bines on one line. Last year I had trimmed back the plants to one bine per line, but I read recently from Glen Fuller, an organic hops grower in Colorado (and also the supplier of hops to New Belgium for their Century Ale) that he lets three to four bines go per line, which increases yields. I'm guessing that this is also the number at which if you exceed the number of bines per line you'll begin to experience adverse issues, such as mildew or rot. I am going to give this a try this year and see how things go.

On a related note, here's a link to New Belgium's Century Ale. 

No comments: