Saturday, February 28, 2009

Priorities are a pain sometimes....

Wanted to get going on the Helles bock this weekend, but SWMBO reminded me that we need to start setting up the seed boxes and grow lights to get the seedlings going for our garden. As I had promised this last weekend and forgotten, I can't tell her no, but maybe I can still squeeze a brew session in tomorrow.

Since the Roggenbier debacle, I've been a bit discouraged about brewing. I thought I had a pretty good sanitation process down, but now I'm starting to doubt that process and wonder if there isn't another possible source of contamination I'm going to overlook. I think it's just going to be a case of having to get going again and being as conscientious as possible about the sanitation procedures. Removing all valves, fitting, hoses, etc., and making sure they're all clean. I haven't had the heart to touch this beer since I noticed the infection because it's just such a letdown, but I guess now is the time. If this were a Brett beer I'd call that a great pellicle, but as it isn't, I'll call it what it is: garbage.

3 comments:

Barry M said...

That looks pretty scarey. I'm lucky enough never to have had a batch go down the drain, but have had a couple of bottles go bad. Any idea where in the process it might have come in?

I went on a brewing frenzy a few weeks ago while my wife was away. All the fermenters are empty now, so I'm itching to get something into them.

Mike Ring said...

I know EXACTLY where it went wrong. About a week after primary I was cleaning out my hoses and I noticed a big blob at the QD for the hose with my in-line thermometer. After removing the thermometer, there it was - a big moldy growth. I was filtering cooled wort through mold. One more spot I've learned to look.

Barry M said...

Ouch! At least you found it.

Now get out and plant some seeds :D